New Here?
Toggle Content
   

Toggle Content User Info
Welcome

Anonymous

Nickname
Password
Register

Membership:
Latest: nomoreclips
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 17184

Online Now [495]:
Visitors: 494
Bots: 1
Members: 0
Staff Online Now:

No staff members are online!
Page Views:
Today: 108614
Total: 144928807

Toggle Content Main Menu
 General Info Goodies Search Web Stats Members
 Donations

 

Forums ›

:: Forums ›
Scraping/crinkling noise from engine?
-> 206 Problems

#1: Scraping/crinkling noise from engine? Author: David1156, Location: East London PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:59 pm
    ----
Hi guys, i got back from a drive and noticed a strange noise from the engine when it's idling. It sounds like a scraping noise from the passenger side of the engine. It sounds like it may have something to do with one of the belts but I honestly have no idea. It's a consistent noise.

It's a 1.1 petrol with about 75000 miles and the engine oil level is at the max position on the display. It also hasn't had a timing belt change but I'll be getting that done soon.

#2: Re: Scraping/crinkling noise from engine? Author: kandlbarrett, Location: Swindon PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:50 pm
    ----
Get a competent friend or mechanic to have a look. If it is a bearing on a belt pulley starting to fail and if it causes the belt to break that is a VERY expensive fix. Get it checked quickly. It might be simple and I have worried you needlessly but it could be about to cost you many hundreds if the belt breaks.

#3: Re: Scraping/crinkling noise from engine? Author: David1156, Location: East London PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:57 pm
    ----
I'll definitely be going to a garage tomorrow to see if they can figure it out. I appreciate your help and I understand where you're coming from with getting it checked. Hopefully it'll be something simple but I'm not going to risk not bothering with it, since it could be related to the cambelt and if that goes, I'm in serious trouble.

#4: Re: Scraping/crinkling noise from engine? Author: David1156, Location: East London PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:42 am
    ----
The pugs in the garage right now getting a new cambelt kit and water pump. The noise is exactly the same as the one in the video:

youtu.be/WQuIcRQnUss

#5: Re: Scraping/crinkling noise from engine? Author: David1156, Location: East London PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:47 am
    ----
Just an update, the noise has reduced, but I've got a new noise coming from the clutch pedal. It's like a grinding/squealing noise that is much louder when the clutch pedal is pressed, but when released, the noise is much quieter. Think I may make a new thread about it.

Think it may be a release bearing in the clutch as I'm guilty of keeping the clutch pressed in at junctions and lights :$

#6: Re: Scraping/crinkling noise from engine? Author: MrBSI, Location: What's it to you? ? ? PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:01 pm
    ----
David1156 wrote:

Think it may be a release bearing in the clutch as I'm guilty of keeping the clutch pressed in at junctions and lights :$

Perfect way to ruin the clutch Laughing

Wont do the release bearing or pressure plate any good.

#7: Re: Scraping/crinkling noise from engine? Author: David1156, Location: East London PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:15 pm
    ----
MrBSI wrote:
David1156 wrote:

Think it may be a release bearing in the clutch as I'm guilty of keeping the clutch pressed in at junctions and lights :$

Perfect way to ruin the clutch Laughing

Wont do the release bearing or pressure plate any good.

But I've changed my ways a while ago! Embarassed But seeing as the car has done a fair bit of mileage and i've got a warranty (which'll hopefully covers the cost) it's kind of a good thing, as i'll definitely be keeping the car for a couple of years.



-> 206 Problems


Page 1 of 1
 
We are not responsible for comments posted by our users, as they are the property of the poster
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy